ALSO CALLED AS FOLATE
Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate used as nutritional supplement and food fortification.
green leafy vegetables
cereals and wheat germ
– Considered as a brain food
– Folic acid plays an important role in cell division, DNA, RNA, protein production and human brain growth and development
– Essential for energy production and red blood cells formation.
– Strengthens immune system.
– Decreases the risk of developing colon and cervical cancer.
– Lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis and heart attack by lowering homocysteine level.
– Early pregnancy
* Prevents neural birth defects such as anencephaly and spina bifida.
* Prevents maturity and low birth weight babies.
– Prevents and treats anemia
– Treats infertility. It enhances spermatogenesis in men and oocyte maturation in women.
– Relieves symptoms of depression and anxiety.
– Synergistically works with vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) in preventing and delaying the graying of hair.
– Promotes healthy and young looking skin.
– Protects against intestinal parasites.
– growth impairment
– heart disease due to elevated homocysteine level
– loss of appetite
– memory impairment
– muscle weakness
– Pregnancy – increases the risk for neural tube defects such as anencephaly and spina bifida.
– Premature graying of hair.
– Sore tongue
– Weight loss
SUPPLEMENTS RICH IN FOLIC ACID: